Wednesday 7 April 2010

Catharine Arakelian, Labour

Labour PPC (Chingford and Woodford Green),
Catharine Arakelian's endorsement and reply


Do you agree in principle with the aforementioned policy?*

*no commitment to act upon the policy

Answer -
"I am, personally and in principle, in favour. I would indeed suggest that the personal allowance should be tied to the minimum wage which I believe is about 12,500 pa. That is, I would wish, in principle that, no one on the minimum wage should pay income tax – effectively making the putative annual minimum wage the personal allowance threshold".


In a generic sense, do you believe that the rich should pay more tax and the poor should pay less tax?

Answer -
"I believe that all tax should be proportionate and progressive. Unearned wealth, such as capital gains, should be taxed more than salaried income. Cash bonuses should be taxed at 50%".


Do you pledge to campaign for income tax reform at the next parliament?*
*not necessarily as specified with the above policy

Answer -
"I regret no single candidate or party is in a position to make this commitment. I believe that income tax reform will come about through a cross-party consensual agreement. I think the need to raise taxes will be overwhelming in the next few years and no one party will be willing to take this unpopular plunge".

"My comments are restricted within the role I hold as standing on the Labour Party manifesto, not yet available".

No comments:

Post a Comment