Thursday 22 April 2010

Nick Clegg, Lib Dem

Liberal Democrat leader (Sheffield Hallam),
Nick Clegg's reply

"I think it is appalling that under this Labour government, the gap between the richest and the poorest in our society has grown so much. While income inequality has remained about the same, wealth inequality – shares and property - has increased. The effect of this on the poorest members of our society is compounded by having one of the most unfair tax systems in the developed world. The wealthiest benefit from special loopholes and the rest of us end up paying more. Labour has failed to make our tax system fair, while the Conservatives’ top priority is tax cuts for millionaires.

Liberal Democrats want to make our tax and benefits system fairer, so that everyone whether young or old can afford to get by. We have plans for the most radical, far-reaching tax reforms in a generation. We will cut taxes for millions of working people and pensioners, paid for by making sure polluters and the very wealthy pay their fair share.

I have a strong belief in the importance of this issue and am happy to respond to your questions:

Firstly I would like to offer my support for the policy you suggest and assure you that this is one of the key areas we would focus on if we were elected. We would stop people paying any income tax on the first £10,000 they earn. This would stop 3.4 million low earners paying any income tax at all and would put £700 back into the pocket of low and middle income earners.

In response to your second question I wish to reassure you that the Liberal Democrats will continue to support the 50% tax on high earners as well as continuing to campaign for the policy I have made reference to in the previous question.

In answer to your final question I simply wish to reiterate the points I have made previously and offer you my assurance that if I am re-elected as MP I will continue to campaign for income tax reform and a fairer and more equal society.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact me on this very important matter".

Yours sincerely

Nick Clegg

No comments:

Post a Comment